Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, April 30, 2011

In Search of Serenity


We all know that there is more to happiness than finding a certain degree of serenity by reducing the stress in life, but it no doubt helps! While I don't think that I know anyone without a certain amount of chaos in their household, it does appear to me that some people are equipped with a built in madness meter which allows them to manage their lives and associated challenges in a more rational and productive manner. I always marvel at their level-headed approach to balancing such a hectic life without breaking a sweat. Do they just have a low-key relaxed personality? Do they meditate? Take Xanex? Drink? What is their secret? They must have inherited a calm, cool and collected gene, that's it, the DNA, of course.
Perhaps some of the above may hold true, because generally speaking, in life, there is usually more than one contributing factor to any state of mind or condition - including happiness! I truly do not believe however that removing all the stress in life would necessarily create happiness, boredom maybe, but stress can also act as a great motivator. Like most emotions, a certain amount of stress is vital to the supreme balance of things. How do we know what relaxed and balanced feels like if we have never encountered its frazzled foe?

The key seems to be found in the way we view our universe. I know this sounds cliche but the old adage about viewing the glass as being half full or half empty seems to ring true here, confirming that if a positive attitude can somehow overshadow its negative counterpart then you may have a stress-less era ahead. It truly is all a state of mind, not that this insight makes it any easier to realize in your own life! Some people seem to have the ability to take control of their life: as proactive masters of their own fate, rather than victims of their own self-designed failure.

Don't misunderstand - I must confess that I have never been known as a Positive Polly, and it is for that very reason that I was driven to understand why. I spent hours and days trying to figure out why God chose me to experience such challenges. Quotes such as Samuel Warren’s “Triumphs without difficulties are empty” however wise, did not really make sense until now.

Gradually, I started to take more responsibility for my misfortunes, writing in a journal each day helped me to discover how completely pessimistic I was. Sometimes you become so caught up in your own cycle of defeat that you don't even realize how you are sabotaging your life...as the years fly by. Then I had to slowly force myself to look at my actions through a more positive lens. And I do mean force! I have heard it said that it takes 21 days or so to break a habit, but I think it takes a lifetime of effort to refocus an attitude and learn to believe in yourself because it is a constant test, ongoing and continuous learning. When you view the stress in your life as a challenge rather than a threat, you tend to come up with more effective, albeit creative solutions and feel more exhilarated rather than drained as you tackle these circumstances one at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chatkath,
    I am so glad to come accross you on here and I loved this blog, you really are a brilliant writer. I now look forward to reading much more of your work.
    Take care my friend.
    Eiddwen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eiddwen, It is such a nice surprise to find this note from you. I am so glad that you found me. I must pay you a visit now so I look forward to seeing you soon!
    Take Good Care;
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete